Friday, March 31, 2006

Last of the hiatus

No, that's not the title of an obscure Classics Illustrated comic that is in the shortbox, it means that this is another empty post, a hollow gesture that somehow maintains a veneer of continuity to these proceedings without requiring very much participation from the rhetor. I am still in transition, this time with moving residences rather than vacationing, but all will be back to normal next week.

In the meantime, here's a preview of the next selection:



What are they calling these long, drawn-out stories today - decompressed? Well, I looked at the opening of this comic as I was scanning the cover, and I have to tell you, thirty years ago they (in this case, Denny O'Neil and Howard Chaykin) were still writing stories in that ultracompressed, almost golden-age style: there is more plot and exposition in the first six panels of this piece than in some full stories I have read. And I love it.

See you next week.

No comments: